The True Cost of Waterproofing!
The cost of waterproofing can vary depending on the size of the project, the type of waterproofing material, and the number of coats that are needed. Prices for waterproofing materials can range from around R75 to R500 per square metre. The cost of waterproofing the building’s roof needs to be considered according to the size of the roof and the waterproofing system that will be used.
When should you hire a waterproofer?
We recommend that you regularly check for any signs of waterproofing on your roof or your home. The sooner you spot any water leaks the cheaper the cost of waterproofing will be.
If you notice any of these issues in your home, it may be an indication that your waterproofing needs are being neglected. It is best to prevent such problems from happening before they become major issues, so it’s essential to have a waterproofing expert inspect your home for waterproofing problems, to prevent the need for major repairs, especially when it comes to roof waterproofing.
This is a good way to reduce your waterproofing cost.
So how much does waterproofing in South Africa?
This is an estimate of the waterproofing costs of labour per square meter. You’ll find out how much the waterproofing costs depending on the waterproofing system too and the estimate is based on multiple quotes.
- South African average rate (per sqm) is R130.00
- Installation costs range (per sqm) from R75 to R240
- Mid-level (per sqm) R140.00
- High level (per sqm) R240.00
Most professionals need to see the job before they quote accurately on waterproofing a building or the roof.
Waterproofing installation — labour cost
- R70 – R250 / sqm
- This is the price for applying waterproofing to the area.The final cost may be determined by a few factors, including the specific product selected, the type of service, and your location.On average, the cost of waterproofing a home is around R160 per square meter. That’s between R70 and R250 per square meter.
Bitumen spray-on waterproofing
- R300 – R500 / sqm
- This is the price per square metre for bitumen spray-on waterproofing.The asphalt based sealant used to waterproof the roadways is called bitumen.It’s the ultimate bathroom floor sealant. You can apply it on any surface from concrete to tile.
It’s not a lot of money per square metre, but the fact is that you don’t need a lot of floor space for the same amount of R300 / sqm to R500 / sqm, averaging at R400 / sqm.
- R200 – R400 / sqm
- This is the price for torch-on waterproofing per square foot. The costs of torch-on waterproofing are between R200 / sqm and R400 / sqm, averaging at R300 / sqm.
Factors contributing to the cost of waterproofing
- Type of roof
The waterproofing cost depends on the type of roof you have such as:
- Flat roofs
- Metal roofs or
- Tiled roofs
- The size of the roof/area
The waterproofing cost can be determined by the size of the roof that needs to be waterproofed.
- The condition of the roof
The condition of the roof before applying waterproofing material has a significant effect on the cost of waterproofing your roof.If your roof is severely damaged, rusted, or already has a failed waterproofing system, you’ll need to take precautionary measures before applying the new waterproofing.
- The materials
The more expensive the materials are that you use to waterproof, the more the repair will cost you.
- Sky lights / chimneys / roof add-ons
Any additional roof add-ons will increase the cost to waterproof and roof repairs. These types of add-ons that need to be repaired or replaced will be included in the cost as well.
- Whether or not there is water damage:Roof damage is expensive and therefore increases the overall cost.Roofs are vulnerable to water damage which requires immediate repair or replacement. Make sure that you always check your roof for potential water leaks, and have your roof inspected by the experts at an experienced company like TT Waterproofing.
How long should waterproofing last?
A properly installed waterproofing system should last you from 10 to 15 years. Installing a properly-installed waterproofing system should not cause water leakages to your building.
Contact your professional waterproofing company
A professional roofing contractor should be contacted to properly waterproof a building or roof. Waterproofing is the best cover for your roof and it will cost you between R75 to R500 per sqm.
A variety of factors influence the cost of waterproofing your home and your professional waterproofing company should inspect the area before giving you a quote.